S'more of what!?

 
Wow, this is like the uber ultimate s'more! I definitely wouldn't want "s'more" of that...I doubt I could even manage to eat the whole thing! 

I'm sure EVERYONE has had a s'more once or twice or....multiple times (like me) in their life. It is totally the best campfire snack that is so fun to make in the summer! I've even made these in my microwave before! (No...I'm not weird! Have you ever heated up a marshmallow in the microwave and watched it from the outside!? Sooooo silly looking). 

Anyways, That is just a little too much in the picture above. 

This is more like it!

Buttttt...have you ever had a S'MORE CUPCAKE!? Chances are probably more slim...

I changed up a couple things here and made it my own concoction. I think I am getting better at that the more I bake! *Crosses Fingers* I've seen other s'mores cupcakes and a few were original...a few weren't...and I didn't want to copy ANY idea from anyone this time around. 

I decided to take my chocolate cupcake recipe that I used a while back for my boss' 60th birthday party, stir in some mini marshmallows to the batter, and add my very own special icing. I have decided that I AM NOT going to reveal my special ingredient that is featured in my "graham cracker" butter cream. After all, the main ingredients in a s'more are graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows...as long as I captured those 3 flavors, I figured I was good to go! 

I was a little worried about the marshmallows diving into the moist, can't-help-but-lick-the-spatula chocolate cake batter. I went ahead and dumped more than half the bag into the batter and stirred it on up. 
After baking them for about 20 minutes...well not about...for 20 minutes exactly...They were ready to be pulled out! It was a sight to see (I should have captured a picture) looking through the oven door while they were baking because the marshmallows were bubbling away! I was definitely worried that the cupcake itself wasn't going to cook all the way and the marshmallow was going to ruin the cupcakes. This wasn't the case though...After my first batch, I put a few less marshmallows into each liner and they came out perfect!
Then comes my least favorite part of baking cupcakes...having to wait for them to cool completely before icing them! I whipped up the world's most amazing "graham cracker" butter cream. No really...it is amazing...this is just regular vanilla butter cream with that special ingredient that I cannot reveal...unfortunately :) For the FEW of you that know, please keep the secret safe within you!

After adding some left over graham cracker crumbs to the tops, they were completed!

What I will change next time: Put a few less mini marshmallows in each liner...this will prevent any sticking to the liner and cause the batter to rise more over the 'mallows to leave the cupcakes less sticky and chewy on the tops. Many of mine turned out like the picture above after the first batch!

What was a little odd: The marshmallows caused the tops of the cupcakes to be a little chewy. It's very hard to explain, but I am interested to see how they are tomorrow after the icing has been sitting on top of the cupcake over night. Maybe things will change! Not necessarily a bad thing though, but next time I will definitely put less 'mallows.

What I love about these: This is one of my favorite summer time snacks turned into a CUPCAKE! The recipe can EASILY be changed around...I could do vanilla cupcakes...with chocolate chips inside...orrrrrrr....chocolate cupcakes FILLED with marshmallow creme instead of plain 'ol marshmallows...there are numerous ways to change this concoction up! That's exactly what I love about making cupcakes...I also love the fact that I put a secret ingredient into the icing, which REALLY makes it mine without a doubt :)

These cupcakes are for one of my boss' birthdays tomorrow...I hope everyone enjoys! Just an update, my vanilla extract has been sitting for a week now and it is dark...smells absolutely amazing. Can't wait to use it in about 4 weeks!

All by its lonesome!
Crumby S'mores Yummmm!!!
This vase also has purple beads in it...GO RAVENS!!! Beads match the icing :)
Until next time, Cheers!

The Best Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes on the Planet (adapted from kiwisoutback on Squidoo)

  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  •  
  • Soften the butter at room temperature, while taking the eggs out to also warm to room temperature, approximately 20 minutes. Grease the cupcake pans, and if desired, line them with cupcake wrappers and set aside. Meanwhile, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl, then set aside.
  • Preheat oven to 350° F. Beat the butter in a mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the eggs, then add the sugar gradually until fully combined. Scrape the sides and beat again until combined. Beat in the vanilla, adding the milk and flour on low speed. Beat on a higher speed for one minute, or until well combined and smooth.
  • Pour the batter into cupcake pan, filling each indention no more than 3/4 full.
  • Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a cupcake. Cool for at least 15 minutes, then remove the cupcakes. Frost immediately.


0 comments:

Post a Comment