Just Another Manic Monday!

Monday Night. Bored. Still got work to do on my recipe. Who wants cupcake minis!?

Tonight was going to be round numero dos for Liv's "Hazelnut Coffee Lovers" cupcakes. Except this time, I wanted to use my brand new, Wilton mini cupcake pan! Thanks Mom and Dad :)

I've never baked minis before so it was definitely going to be a challenge. Or was it? Basically, I knew ya had to bake the cupcakes for less time, so how hard could it be? That was really the only difference...

I had some tweaking to do on my recipe and it still is going to need round 3 and probably round 4 and/or 5. I now realize how writing a recipe can take lots of effort and perseverance. I am determined to perfect my very first recipe! 


This is how I modified my first draft of my recipe (in italic):


1 cup sifted cake flour—sift first then measure
¾ tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/3 cup softened butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tbsp. canola oil (or full fat sour cream)
¾ tsp. pure coffee extract
2 tbsp. milk
I didn't have anymore sour cream so I decided to use canola oil (which essentially works the same and I'm not so sure which is better for you). I thought it had to be a TAD more moist so I decided to add some milk. Then, I balanced it out a bit with a little more cake flour. They STILL could have been more moist when they came out of the oven! I guess it does make sense now since I still kept the flour/oil/milk amounts balanced...should have just kept it with more wet ingredients. Oh well! That's why there is always round 3. I also added a quarter cup more of coffee extract which didn't really add much more flavor after all, unfortunately. They could still be more coffee-y! 

I baked the minis for 12 minutes and they came out perfect.

I whipped up the same hazelnut butter cream that I made last night and plopped a little on top! They are so cute, I love 'em! So quick and easy to ice and make a great picture. Going to take these to work tomorrow so I can get more feedback.



0 comments:

Post a Comment