20 Dozen Were a Success!

Current Mood: Not feelin' too hot this afternoon...
Current Song: 'Round Here - Florida Georgia Line

So remember that HUGE order I had last week of 20 dozen cupcakes!? Yes, I finished it and no, it didn't cause me any problems! Phew!

Before frosting most of them
As a reminder I had 2 orders--one for my mother for a baby shower at her work and one for Kelly for a Greek wedding. My mom needed four dozen, 2 chocolate, 2 vanilla. The chocolate had blue vanilla icing and the vanilla had yummy chocolate butter cream. I LOVE chocolate butter cream. I strongly believe it's my favorite icing EVER. Sometimes I find myself squeezing the extra into my mouth from the pastry bag....

I mean....what??

You'll just have to try it for yourself, huh?

Kelly needed 16 dozen--four chocolate with chocolate icing, four vanilla with vanilla icing, four carrot with Rum Chata icing, and four red velvet with cream cheese icing. Yes...I said Rum Chata.

That is probably my SECOND favorite icing EVER. With a touch of cinnamon, it was pleasing to the eye and pleasing to the pallet. I was worried that having to add a decent amount of alcohol to the icing would make it runny. However, I just had to add a tiny bit more powdered sugar than normal and it was the perfect consistency!

On Thursday, it took me about 9 hours to complete most of the order. I worked from about 9am until 6pm and until I literally couldn't stand on my heels any longer in just socks. I finished all but the frosting on 8 dozen of the cupcakes. This was going to be easy peasy though to finish up Friday night.

Mom's order-it's a boy!
What worked well: Prepping the dry ingredients a few days in advance REALLY cut down the mixing time. It took me half the time to mix up the batter by preparing the large zip lock baggies of dry ingredients. I strongly recommend everyone to do this if you have a large order! Also, having a bowl with a pour spout helped me out a lot. The metal bowl that goes with my Kitchen Aid mixer does not have one of these so I found that it worked well (and saved time) to transfer the batter into one of my plastic bowls that has a pour spout so that I could fill the pans easily and quickly. Now, of course, this works well only for those batters that are super thin. When you have a thicker batter, you should use your ice cream scooper.

My whole dining room table was covered in cupcakes...and I mean covered. But once packed away for delivery in my nifty plastic containers, I was so proud of myself for completing my biggest order ever. It didn't take an ungodly amount of time and I learned a few tips to reduce the time even more in the future.

Go me!!!

Now, I just need to hear how they all tasted from Kelly!

Bring on my next order! Cheers!

Tip of the day: Wear comfortable tennis shoes when baking for more than 6 hours straight. Don't go shoe-less, that's for sure!





Carrot cupcakes with Rum Chata frosting and Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting


Kelly's order all ready to be delivered!

0 comments:

Post a Comment