New Vanilla Beans!

YAY! I just ordered new vanilla beans to make more extract. I'm almost out of extract (I think I started using it last August??) so that definitely lasted me a good amount of time.

I found out a fun fact today about what KIND of vanilla beans to use for extract.

There are Grade A beans and then there are Grade B beans. Grade A beans are often called gourmet or prime beans which are more oily and they "look better" than Grade B. They also have a 30%-35% moisture content. Grade B beans are BETTER for making extract and they have a 15%-25% moisture content. They are often called extract beans.

Since they have less water weight, less water will end up in the extract. They are also cheaper.

Needless to say, I made sure that I ordered Grade B beans for the purpose of making my second batch of extract. Also, always get the ones that come right from Madagascar!

Half pound for $30 is a GREAT deal. I think I paid $27 for them the first time around. You get almost 50 beans in the vacuum sealed pack and they last A WHILE.

Make sure you keep them in an air tight container and in a dark place if you have left over...which you definitely will after making extract (if you get a 1/2 pound). I made the mistake of leaving my leftovers at the old apartment :( You want to make sure they don't dry out.

Can't wait to get started on a new batch this weekend!!!

Cheers!
scrape1.jpg

Facts and picture: Courtesy of Instructables

0 comments:

Post a Comment