Back in the day...

When it all started! Momma's lil helper :)
When I was only 3 years old, I was using the electric mixer to help my mom make delicious, homemade cookies. When did they start making Betty Crocker and the other dessert-in-bags? To my knowledge...never. Why take all of the fun and excitement out of baking?


Rolling out the Valentine's Day cookies!
 These thin, sugar cookies were on our baking list every year on Valentine's day. Not a year went by when we would forget this tradition (of course until I was a little older). I used to press those little cinnamon heart-shaped candies into the center (and always want to put more!). Were these even hearts anyways???!?! Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?
 

Kneading the Yalikmek (Turkish bread) until we were sore

Yalikmek (not so sure of the exact spelling), Turkish sweet bread, was a tradition that came at the start of a new year. The only part that my sister and I really helped out with was the kneading of the dough. I quote my mom last night when I found this picture, "I used to yell, punch it! Slap it! Go, Go, Go!" This explains the expression on my face in this picture. It also explains why all of our relatives couldn't wait to get their baggie of bread after New Years!
This is how the Yalikmek turned out...a little cinnamon and clove flavor in this spiral shaped bread!



0 comments:

Post a Comment