Panic Attack Central! Well...not so much...

Welcome back again :)

I couldn't stop thinking about candy bar inspired cupcakes and my mind was racing with all sorts of ideas. I decided that I am going to have a theme of just this in a few months--candy bar inspired cupcakes! As my mind was racing with ideas for different filled cupcakes, I actually just decided to make chocolate cupcakes with a cream cheese filling and a raspberry cool whip frosting! At the end, you will get to see the finished product that turned out extremely well for having made a boo boo...

I followed a simple chocolate cake recipe that I found somewhat odd at first because of the 1 cup oil, 1 cup water, and 1 cup milk dealio. The mixture turned out pretty thin compared to other cupcakes that I've made, but this didn't keep them from being moist and delicious. I think what I liked the most was that the cupcake wasn't too TOO chocolatey. It was just right.

Then, I followed an easy creme filling recipe except I added a twist and threw in some low fat cream cheese! Once I baked the 32 cupcakes and they cooled for a bit, I used my pastry bag and piper tool to punch a hole in the cupcake and filled it on up. Some of the cupcakes turned out tiny so next time I will fill up the liner with more batter instead of just half way like the recipe suggested.

After filling every cupcake, I waited a good amount of time to let them cool completely before piping on the frosting. This is where I made the boo boo...in my mind I had this vivid image of a reddish colored light and airy raspberry cool whip frosting. This wasn't the case with the finished product. I followed an extremely easy cool whip/pudding frosting recipe and added a container of raspberries to the mixture. Now, I'm not too sure if I used too much milk since I doubled the recipe or all of the water from the fresh fruit made the concoction so thin and runny. But something DEFINITELY went wrong with my not-so-pretty frosting. The color was almost on point and the bits of raspberries after blending really made the frosting look legit and yummy. And it was! Just not so great for piping out of the pastry bag and onto a cupcake...

This is where I was happy that I had extra filling left over! I used the cream cheese filling and added more powdered sugar and a bit of the messed up frosting to still capture that raspberry flavor and look. Although I didn't have enough to icing every single cupcake, it saved the lives of them and STILL were a super hit at work the next 2 days.

Like I mention in my "About Me" section on the homepage of my blog...the greatest feeling comes from the reactions of people biting into a delicious, home made dessert. I felt very content when the cupcakes were gone by lunch time AND THEN by 11am the following day. This just goes to show that if ya screw somethin' up, improvise and the outcome will be even more satisfying :D

This was supposed to be a blog about what not to do when baking, but now I feel that this is the perfect example of what a good baker does when his or her initial reaction is literally freaking out (yes, I freaked out a little bit too much when the icing did not turn out the way I pictured). Just use your natural instincts and knowledge of scratch baking and the finished product will still have people coming back for more!




0 comments:

Post a Comment