Milky Goodness

Have you tried Tres Leches Cake before!? If not, I highly recommend trying out this recipe and checking out this girl's blog. She captures every step in a professional looking picture and really explains the cake process well.

Anyways, I used this recipe yesterday to make the cake. For anyone that doesn't know, "Tres Leches" means "Three Milk" and when you try it, you will know what I mean by the title of this post! For anyone that can't stand or can't have milk, I would probably suggest staying away from this type of cake. You actually use four milks in this recipe (should we change the name to Quatro Leches??), but the one doesn't really count I guess. You use a 1/3 cup whole milk (I actually substituted skim milk since it was such a little amount and since that's all I had) in the cake batter. That is the only tiny change I made to the recipe. This recipe seems like it would be hard to tweak since the three milks are pretty specific and the cake is a sponge cake that can't simply be changed.

You use a can of condensed milk, a can of evaporated milk, and a 1/4 cup of whipping cream for the milky goodness part of the cake. This actually is what makes the cake (obviously) and cannot be tweaked in my opinion. When you get to this part in the recipe, you will want to kill yourself for choosing a dessert like this one. Just kidding, not LITERALLY kill yourself, but the milky goodness part of the recipe can be pretty fattening in many people's eyes. It is definitely the best part though. After baking the sponge cake, you let it cool and then poke fork holes all around the surface of the cake. Make sure you make enough holes so that when you pour the milky goodness over the cake, it soaks in everywhere. You basically just combine the three milks into a pitcher (this looks pretty gross at first, but once it's all mixed up, it is a bit more appealing) and pour the pitcher (minus 1 cup of the mixture) alllllllll over the cake. Now, you gotta leave it sit for about 30 minutes to allow maximum soaking. It seems like you are pouring a lot of milk over the cake, but since it's a sponge cake, it really holds tight to the amount of liquid you pour in.

Once you feel that it is all soaked up, you make the homemade whipped cream for the icing! I didn't realize at first that I was literally making whipped cream but the only two ingredients that are used for the icing are a pint of whipping cream and 3-4 tablespoons of sugar (the recipe says 3 but if you want it sweeter, throw in some more to your liking). You whip it up good with a whisk attached to a handheld blender until it literally becomes whipped cream. Next, you simply spread it over the cake!

The recipe suggested topping with maraschino cherries either chopped or whole, but I left this out partly because I forgot to grab them at the store and....well that is really the only reason. I'd suggest using strawberries as well since the cake is pretty light.

For anyone that doesn't like cake all that much, I'd suggest this recipe. It's not too sweet since there is less sugar and lots of milk plus the whipped cream topping. My roommate suggested this recipe as a part of International Month because of the said reason (she doesn't really like cake) and also because she said it is the best cake she's ever had!

Suggestion: If you want to make it low fat, I'd suggest using the skim milk (like I did) as well as an artificial sweetener in place of sugar. If they sell low-fat whipping cream, that could work too for the topping! Although, I'm starting to think this cake is only as delicious as it is when using the fattier milks, unfortunately.

This cake is a Spanish, milky, party in your mouth if you enjoy milk and spongy consistencies. I recommend this recipe to anyone and everyone!

Stay tuned for Strawberry Tartlets on Wednesday! That will conclude my International Month. Here we come July and less than 200 calorie desserts!!

Cheers!


Folding the whipped egg whites into the flower/egg yolk mixture!

Finished Tres Leches Cake! It's hard to tell the moistness of it, but it's definitely there! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment