Don't Use a Hand Towel to Pick Up Hot Things!

HAPPY WEEDS DAY! 

That would mean the show silly. So today I decided to change my plans up a little and instead of making the orange raspberry souffles, I made a summery lemon tart! My roommate has been saying that I should make lemon bars lately, but the traditional lemon bar would mean more than 200 calories and that doesn't come into line with this month's theme! So I came across Betty Crocker's (Mystery-in-a-Box woman!) fresh lemon tart. The original recipe had a frozen blueberry garnish, but I decided to leave this out as I forgot corn starch :( I had fresh blueberries laying around so I decorated with them instead!

This dessert was extremely easy and the oven was only involved when baking the crust. The filling has only fat-free milk, lemon pudding and pie mix, and cool whip! It is cooling now as we speak so it will be ready to eat later while we watch the 2nd episode of Weeds!! 

What I will change next time: Always make more than enough crust! The recipe called for 1.5 cups of crushed vanilla wafers, 1 tbsp of melted butter, and 1 beaten egg white for the crust. I followed this exactly and ended up with not enough crust for the tart. I suppose I could have gone back after I pressed the crust into the bottom of a pie pan and made more crust to build up the sides, but I decided to leave it as it is and just cover the bottom of the pan. Hey, less calories and fat! Next time I will definitely make MORE than enough crust because I now know that you can never have too much :)

Now, I haven't tried the tart yet, but I have tried the filling from the bowl. The crust HAS to be delicious because it has vanilla wafers in it and you can never go wrong with Nilla Wafers! When baking the crust, do not try to pull it out of the oven with a hand towel...I ended up burning my thumb! Yes it was a dumb idea because I have plenty of pot holders...*sigh*

What I think I will love about this dessert: The serving size from the original recipe is 130 calories; however, that is with the blueberry garnish and more crust. I expect each serving to be about 100 calories or even less without that. The filling is so light and refreshing because, duh, lemon flavoring is ALWAYS refreshing and the cool whip tones the lemon down a bit. I've never tried the flavors of blueberry and lemon together, but I am definitely all about trying new and different things. 

My next mission: This week I am going to start researching what ingredients actually DO when added to a recipe. Obviously flour thickens, milk/water thins, baking powder makes things rise, but my next mission is to really research all different ingredients so that I can, one day, write my own unique recipes and let my imagination take over. After all, the biggest question I will need to ask myself when opening up Liv's Bakery is, "What is going to set me apart from others?" My plan is to mix flavors together that completely slip people's minds, think outside the box and make unique recipes, and spice up my decorations and presentations so that my bakery can become successful. Let the reading begin!!

I do not have a dessert planned for next Sunday since there are 5 Sundays this month. That shouldn't stop me from continuing my research and blogging about it though! The following week I will be making a Mocha Angel Food cake and I plan to make that from scratch this time! No more Betty Crocker mystery-in-a-box for me. 

Cheers!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment