Mystery-in-a-Box

Happy Late Birthday America!

So I've never actually made an Independence Day dessert before...but this one is an old time favorite! I watched my mom make this almost every year for the 4th of July and as much as I DISLIKE...well I would use another word but it is too strong...making anything out of a box, this is one of those cakes that you just feel so bad making homemade. For the 4th this year, I decided to try out the red, white, and blue angel food cake that always screamed "Get in my belly!" when my mom made it for cookouts. It's oh so simple (mainly because it's made out of a box) and all you do is add water. Literally, so sad, but water is the only other ingredient required besides the Betty Crocker mystery in a box. Honestly, how do they get a powder out of this recipe?!?!?!:
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup cake flour, sifted
  • 12 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup warm water
  • 1 teaspoon orange extract, or extract of your choice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
It doesn't make sense to me whatsoever, but hey, it's the taste of fluffy clouds!!

Anywho, I guess Betty Crocker holds the ultimate secret to condensing this recipe into a powder-based sponge cake that melts in your mouth when combined with homemade whipped cream, strawberries, and blueberries. Going back to my point about feeling bad after making angel food cake from scratch, I know I would if I wasted 12 egg yolks. I wonder if you could find the equivalent of 12 egg whites and the number of cups it would make. Ah ha! According to the American Egg Board *does the Scooby growl* 4-6 egg whites is equal to a 1/2 cup. So I guess I could buy egg whites in a carton and not feel so bad about making homemade angel food cake! Definitely going to try that next time...

So this boxed heaven turned out to be the best way to go on the 4th as my roommate and I were scrambling to make deviled eggs (that was her job) and bake this cake in order to beat the storm at the cookout we were going to. What rain?! Below are the steps to the spongy, light, airy, sweet, and tart 4th of July dessert:

-Open the box to Betty Crocker's mystery (that just so happened to be fun-fetti style powder)
-Dump the powdered egg white concoction into a mixing bowl
-Measure out 1 and 1/4 cups of tap water
-Gently pour the water over the mystery powder
-Blend well with an electric mixer for 1.5 minutes
-Pour magically fluffy egg white-like substance that you have now made with the help of water into an angel food cake tube pan
-Put it in the oven for about 40 minutes until the top is golden brown and cracks feel dry
-Don't forget to watch it rise magically with the help of baking powder??????? This ingredient is actually still a mystery...
-Immediately turn pan upside down on top of a drinking glass and wait for it to cool completely
-Release cake from pan onto a plate
-Make homemade whipped cream with a pint of whipping cream, 3-4 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tsp vanilla
-Spread all over the top and sides of the cake
-Decorate with desired fruit and enjoy!!!

Was I too specific on how to make the mystery in a box? :D

Don't do what I did: When I pulled the cake out of the pan, it just so happened that some cake was missing from the one side. Where did it disappear to?? No clue because it wasn't left in the pan! When I spread the whipped cream all over, it kind of sunk to one side a bit :( Once we finally arrived to the cookout and got around to eating the cake, the cool whip on that one side decided to weight the cake down even more so it was more lopsided.

Oh well, it was more delish than ever AND I even got to enjoy the mystery behind Betty Crocker's magical just-add-water cake powder. That's all folks!

PS: Can you tell yet how much I dislike making boxed desserts yet? 


0 comments:

Post a Comment