Peach Cake for the Baby!

The baby actually didn't eat the cake...but he was the hit of the show Sunday night at the cookout! Check him out here with his new plaid shorts and cool sandals! This is my nephew Shawn by the way...cutest 3 month old everrrrrrr.


My parents had a cookout Sunday with all the family because many of them hadn't met Shawn yet. It just so happened that this was a Sunday that I didn't have a "under 200 calorie dessert" planned since there are five Sundays this month. I decided I was going to take the weekend off from baking but nope, instead I made the dessert for the party! I stuck with the summery fruit--peaches--and made a peach cake. The recipe at first glance seemed like a lot but I actually really enjoyed making this dessert. My mom always makes a peach cake during one of our summer cookouts and I KNEW she was going to choose this dessert out of the four choices I gave her.

Just so everyone knows, I saw these four recipes that caught my eye when searching for light, cookout desserts.

Tiny Terrific Tiramisu
Berry Bonanza Blast
Pondering About Pavlova (because I've never heard of it)
Peach-Puffed Cake

Now those obviously aren't the exact names...or are they? Check out the links to some interesting summery desserts that I found along my journey!

Anywho, I presented these options to my mother and just knew she was going to pick the peach cake (sorry Mom, but we know how much you love your peach cake recipe :D) But I was sort of relieved because that meant I didn't have to buy whipping cream for the third time in just a month for the Pavlova! (What the heck is this anyways?).

This layered cake was full of flavors that fit so well together like puzzle pieces. You got your cinnamon that compliments the sugar in it's usual fashion. Then you got your sweet/salty combo of chopped pecans and peaches. In the 13x9 inch pan that I used since I doubled the recipe, you had a layer of cake, layer of peaches, layer of cinnamon/sugar, layer of cake, layer of peaches, layer of cinnamon/sugar, nuts. Every ingredient complimented each other so well and it came out very nice.

What I will make sure to do next time: I definitely didn't buy enough peaches and I should have known better when I looked at the recipe. It called for 3 peaches but since I doubled the recipe, I bought 6. I probably could have used 8 once I looked at the completed cake. I still had absolutely no complaints and it was gobbled all up by noon the following day at work!

I was pretty worried when the cake had to be in the oven for a little over an hour. For the original recipe, you bake for 45-55 minutes. The outer parts of the cake were golden but the middle was still gooey. However, once I took it out, let cool for 10 minutes, covered with foil, everything got extremely soft and I officially decided that it came out the perfect consistency :) Sadly, I did not get a snap shot of the finished cake. We were too busy chowing down!

What not to do: Whatever you do, do not bounce a baby around right before you plan on eating this cake (or any food for that matter) if you know what I mean!

Stay tuned for MY FIRST OFFICIAL ORDER NEXT SUNDAY!! You'll have to wait completely homemade Mocha Angel Food cake!

Cheers!

P.S. Pavlova is a dessert named after Anna Pavlova, a Russian ballerina in the late 1800's. It is a meringue cake topped with whipped cream and some type of fruit. Well, duh, that explains it!

Layer numero uno

Top view!


Right before going into the oven.


0 comments:

Post a Comment