How is it that I'm just now making my favorite dessert?!

My favorite dessert has always been cheesecake...go out to dinner and I happen to get dessert...the first thing I look for on the menu is cheesecake. Any kind. Strawberry swirl, red velvet, NY style, birthday-cake-party-in-my-mouth, or whatever kind of cheesecake you can imagine--I love.

It just so happened that my friend's dad's 50th birthday is today and he wanted me to make him a cheesecake. He said his dad LOVES chocolate so what do I choose to make? A chocolate obsession cheesecake--chocolate cheesecake, Oreo crust, chocolate ganache on top, and more Oreo's around the edge and on the rim. Talk about chocolate overload! This would give me a heart attack!! Well...not literally, but I'd definitely go into a food coma and probably not want chocolate for a really long while that's for sure.

Now I know that cheesecake is probably the worst dessert for anyone in all of mankind--does this stop me from ordering it out? No way!! I especially can't resist looking at the book of choices at the Cheesecake Factory. That is absolutely ridiculous! But really, who goes to the Factory and DOESN'T order cheesecake!? Hopefully no one reading this...

Anyways, I have never made a cheesecake before so I wasn't sure how to compare recipes online. I knew ahead of time that it has an out-of-this-world amount of cream cheese plus a generous amount of sugar and probably some milk or something to make it nice and creamy but thin enough to pour into the spring form pan. I ended up being wrong about the milk and a good handful of recipes I looked at had sour cream in them as well. Many recipes I glanced at were very similar so I went with one on a website that I was familiar with already--Joy of Baking. I've used a few of their recipes before and saw that this particular recipe had been tested so I went with this one! Click on the link to see what it's all about.

What I changed a bit: I decided to use Oreo's for the crust and edge of the cake instead of grahams. This was partly because the Mars by my apartment did not have/sell chocolate grahams for some completely odd reason. I think Oreos taste better anyways! This is really all I changed since it was my first time experimenting with baking a cheesecake.

First time for everything! It was my first time baking a full on, 10 inch, cheesecake. It was also my first time using a brand new spring form pan! This pan makes it SO easy to remove the cheesecake. Just pop and pull! I've also never made ganache before. I always thought it was something extremely elegant, fancy, and difficult to make. It literally consists of heavy whipping cream and semi-sweet baking squares. Talk about a piece of cake! First time's a charm!

Hope your dad enjoys this chocolatey delight on his 50th!!

Cheers!

1 comments:

Unknown said...
September 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Alivia, the cake was absolutely phenomenal! It was better than what I envisioned a chocolate obsession cheese cake to be like. It showed that you put a lot of effort into making the cake and it came out great! My dad loved it! Thank you once again!

You have gained a repeat customer for sure!

Post a Comment