Dirty Eggnog Cookies

Good morning All!

So remember when I said I was going to be making "Dirty Eggnog" cookies for an ugly sweater holiday party last weekend?! Well I made them and I must say I am pretty damn proud of 'em!

The eggnog cookie recipe was extremely easy and very tasty. However, when I added chocolate chips and crispy bacon bits to the sweet batter, it put the icing on the cake. Instead of covering the bacon bits in chocolate, (I figured this would get pretty messy and was just plain unnecessary) I just threw whole, semi-sweet chocolate chips into the batter and bacon bits alongside them.

It's funny. I am not a dark chocolate fan AT ALL but I just can't fathom putting milk chocolate chips in cookies. It's just ODD to me. While in the store, I went to pick up a bag of Hershey's milk chocolate chips and thought to myself, WAIT A MINUTE I can't do that!

Another tip of the day for these cookies: BURN the bacon. Well, make it real, nice and crispy. I baked the bacon (I had lots of time that day before the party) at 400 for about 30 minutes or maybe more. I just kept an eye on it and made sure it got super dark. I like baking bacon because it prevents grease from flying everywhere. However, if you are on a time constraint, I'd just fry it up because it does take a while to get it crispy in the oven.

I used this eggnog cookie recipe. It was super easy and includes those two favorite holiday flavors--nutmeg and cinnamon. However, I think maybe next time if I decide to add the chocolate chips and bacon bits again, I would leave out the nutmeg. There were LOTS of flavors going on!!

I added some more eggnog to the batter because a 1/2 cup just didn't seem like enough when I tasted the batter (oops!).

Once the batter was made, I crushed up the crispy bacon (it ended up being about 10 strips of bacon but you can adjust to your preference...more or less), threw in ALMOST the full bag of Hershey's chocolate chips (didn't really see a need for the whole bag but you can use the full bag if you like), and stirred it up!

The recipe said it would make six dozen, but this was not the case. I even dropped them by SMALL spoonfuls onto the baking sheets and I still ended up with about 4 1/2 dozen.

The final verdict: The dozen or so people that tried the cookies at the party thought they were very strange but liked them. It was so funny watching the faces of the people that tried them. One individual said they loved the nutmeg in them...others thought I should possibly remove the nutmeg the next time. Dominic ended up taking the rest to his family's house on Christmas day and said they all LOVED them. His grandma even took the rest home with her!

These cookies were a success for one important reason: They successfully captured EVERY single flavor that I tackled in this recipe. Eggnog, spices, dark chocolate, and crispy bacon. The fact that you could taste each ingredient made me smile :)

These may be added to the Liv's Bakery menu!

Check out these new additions to Liv's Bakery! One of my favorite personal cupcake photos framed in a 20x30 and a matching apron!


0 comments:

Post a Comment