Healthy Mini Cheesecakes

Well...I'm not sure they are HEALTHY but they are definitely HEALTHIER! Instead of the sour cream, POUNDS of cream cheese, and sugar, this recipe (thanks Mom!!) uses yogurt, honey, and just 2 blocks of cream cheese. Don't get me wrong, this is still plenty of cream cheese, but I've seen recipes that have literally a pound of cream cheese! No one needs that! 

My mom had this recipe from back in the day and she wrote it up in her little recipe book at home. However, she did not include any directions at all! The only instructions she included was the baking temperature and time which, in fact, is all ya really need for cheesecakes. She said everyone loved this recipe, so I decided to try it out for Easter Sunday! 

It's simple--cream cheese, honey, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla. There is a topping that is just yogurt, honey, and vanilla and I made this, but it wasn't really enough so there was just a tad on top of each mini. She also included almond extract in the main filling, but I left this out since I was planning on topping each mini with cherry pie filling and crushed Oreo cookies. Her recipe was also for a whole cheesecake but turning such into minis is so easy! Just reduce the cooking time (which I apparently forgot to do!), place cupcake liners in a cupcake pan (or 2), divide the graham cracker crust evenly among each, fill with cheesecake filling, then bake at 350! 

What I changed: Like I said, I made minis. I TOTALLY forgot to reduce the baking time (silly me) so the tops of each were a tad brown--this isn't a bad thing though! And they weren't burnt so that's good! I would reduce the baking time from 50 minutes to about 40 though next time. I made a homemade graham cracker crust from a recipe I found online--about 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 3 tbsp. sugar, 5 tbsp. unsalted melted butter, and a dash of salt--and placed a good amount in each cupcake liner. I baked for 5 minutes before putting the filling in each. I omitted the almond extract from the filling and used vanilla yogurt. This made the cheesecakes SUPER vanilla-y which was a different but yummy flavor. 

Once I made the topping (the little that it made for each cheesecake) I didn't put the cheesecakes back in the oven like my mother had said since they were already well done. I simply topped with cherry pie filling and crushed Oreo cookies and placed in the fridge until we left for Easter dinner! 

Everyone said they were scrumptious at dinner! 

Random Fact: Cheesecakes DO NOT have to always be cooked. Find a recipe that doesn't include eggs and you will discover that you can place it in the fridge without using your oven! 

Cheers!





0 comments:

Post a Comment