Breaking the Ice

Current Mood: Loopy/Dancey
Current Song/Music Mood: Yellowcard- "Way Away"

Happy Monday!!

...Said no one ever....

Well okay, I mean SOME people may say "Happy Monday" but anyone who works Monday through Friday has to agree that Monday is probably the worst day ever. Especially if your boyfriend flies out every Monday morning for work! Boooooooo

You may be wondering why the title of this blog is "Breaking the Ice." And that's understandable. Whenever I think of Creme Brulee though, I think about the smooth, shiny, thin layer of caramelized sugar on top of each little, itty bitty, ramekin filled with the creamy goodness. Then, when you dive into it with your spoon, it's like you're falling through a frozen pond. Breaking the ice. Get it?

I tried baking Creme Brulee for the first time ever yesterday while the boyfriend was fixing the brakes on his monster Jeep. Surprisingly, I didn't burn his house down with the cheap blow torch he has!

This recipe made me think about the 5 ingredient vanilla custard that I made back when I first started this blog in May. That was my "Five Ingredients and Under" month when I actually had themes going on here. I think those themes have come to an end by the way. Now it's just "Whatever Liv feels like making and blogging about" months!

Anyways, Creme Brulee is literally vanilla custard with a thin layer of "ice" on top. Here's the scoop:

5 egg yolks
1/2 c. white sugar
2 c. whipping cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
brown sugar or white sugar for the "ice"

That is LIT-RALLY it.

I got this recipe from Lacey, author of "A Sweet Pea Chef" and it is so yummy. I cut this in half but it would have made about 5 or 6 individual ramekins (mine are small...about 3 oz each).

Whip up the egg yolks and the sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla extract. Fold in the cream slowly being careful not to add too many extra air bubbles. Place the ramekins in a glass baking dish (9 x 13 inch would fit about 6 ramekins just fine) and fill dish with hot water until about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Pour custard into each ramekin and place whole dish in the oven on 325 for about an hour and 10 minutes.

Lacey had 45 minutes to an hour but I found mine weren't ready until about an hour and 10 minutes. A knife should come out relatively clean when done baking. Remove ramekins from water and let sit for 15 minutes on a dish towel. Let them cool off in the fridge for at least an hour.

Place a thin layer of white or brown sugar on top of each custard and use a blow torch to caramelize it. Or "ice" it. You can also place the ramekins back in the water bath and into the oven on "broil" for like 15 minutes if you don't have a torch.

Tip: this dessert is really yummy cold but you can also heat it up before "icing" and torching. I like it cold though (when I actually eat it!)

Cheers!

P.S. It's not burnt, it's caramelized and DELISH :)
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment