BAKE OFF BABY!

Have you ever had a bake off with someone who's NEVER baked ANY DESSERT EVER BEFORE IN THEIR LIFE!? I thought this was going to be a piece of cake...however...that was not the case the first round of our bake off!

November was supposed to be cookie month since it's been almost (I think) a full year since I've actually baked cookies! Can you believe it!? This was the ONLY thing I used to bake when I lived at home. But since I've started my baking blog and Liv's Bakery, I've sort of left them out of the picture, unfortunately. I was totally ready to dedicate November to cookies when...all of the sudden...a co-worker had this brilliant conversation starter.

Jason: "Martin, you know how to do everything around here! What DON'T you know how to do!?"
Martin: Silence at first
Alivia: BAKE!

This simple, laid back conversation started a WAAARRRRRR.

Now, there's people that can cook and hate or simply cannot bake and then there's those who love to bake (like myself) but HATE to cook (or just...like myself again...can't cook!). I felt like Martin was going to be the one who was good at cooking/grilling but not so good at baking...I guess I was wrong :(

One cold, blah, Friday night while we were too lazy to actually do anything productive, my lovely roommate Diana, Martin, and I decided to plan our course of action. We made up rules to the bake off and all sorts of things. We decided to choose two types of desserts that I've never made before. We OBVIOUSLY couldn't pick cupcakes as one because we all know who would've won that round! So to be fair, we chose scones & pies. We have decided to go all month with this and, therefore, I had to change my theme for November to THE ULTIMATE BAKE OFF!!!!

We are going to do "best out of three" (skipping the 18th because I will most likely be baking our Thanksgiving dessert in place of that weekend's delight) and the last weekend Diana is going to choose the type of dessert.

Not going to lie, I was actually nervous about making these scones. FYI, we're baking the same desserts but choosing our own recipes. We wanted to tackle cranberry orange scones last Sunday. SCRUMPTIOUS!

First time going on Pinterest to find a recipe served me well, although I did happen to lose. How does that happen when someone has NEVER baked ANYTHING before!? Blasphemy...

We came up with this elaborate scoring plan at first but then decided to go with the simple, vote for your favorite. We took both batches to work, laid 'em out in the break room, and everyone had at it! When I finally got a chance to look at the score sheets after our 2 1/2 hour long meeting, it was already 3-0 :( The final score was 7-3.

I believe the ULTIMATE decision maker was that Martin's were more "moist" even though that's not even how a scone should be! Dryer, Biscuit-ier, not super super sweet, and well-shaped (you liked how I slipped that in there, huh?) are how traditional scones should be. If I drenched mine in 2 rounds of glaze, they would have all tasted the same :)

Just kidddinnngggg...all joking aside, he did a surprisingly well job for his first time baking anything in his life. No peeking, no help, no tips from anyone and they turned out good! Nice job! But just so you know...I'll be bringing it on full force next Sunday with our pecan pies!

Tips for scones: knead the dough for about 1-2 minutes to allow for proper rising, roll dough out to about a 1/2 inch thick, use a pizza cutter to form wedges, and don't worry if they look a little dry...that's how they are supposed to be!

CHEERS!


0 comments:

Post a Comment