Is the Third Time a Charm!?

New ingredients in the mix!
Good evening! So I just finished round 3 of Liv's very first, original cupcake recipe. If ya'll remember, I wrote my own recipe back on October 1st and it was somewhat a challenge but this might just happen to come somewhat natural to me because the first round was better than I expected. I decided to make what I call "Hazelnut Coffee Lovers" cupcake and write my recipe completely from scratch. The original recipe can be seen in one of my earlier (from Oct. 1) blog posts. Since then, I have tweaked it three times.

The first time, it wasn't quite moist enough and I am STILL working on that aspect of the cupcake it seems like. This, for some reason, DOESN'T seem to come so natural to me. I know what makes cupcakes moist--FAT. Anything that has high fat content...egg yolks, sour cream, oil, cream. The first time, I had some sour cream but I don't think I put in enough. The second time around, I used oil instead of sour cream (because I didn't have any at the time). The cupcake is moist, but could be more moist...if that makes sense? EVERYONE is a sucker for a delicious, moist cupcake...so the moister...the better...okay that didn't make sense...and wasn't a word...

Anywho, the second time around I made cupcake minis instead of the six regular sized cupcakes and took them to work. Everyone seemed to love them! I only got positive reviews. Even the lady that doesn't like sweet things ALWAYS eats my desserts when I bring them...how could she say no!? Just playing...

But it is always a pleasure to see people who constantly say they don't like sweet things eat your treats...

For some reason, I don't think I really want to use coffee extract anymore. The first two times I made my recipe, I used JUST the extract in the batter. This time, I knew I had to make a change so I used actual coffee grinds and the extract. I also spotted the Nestle cocoa powder in my drawer and decided to throw in some of that because who doesn't like chocolate and coffee together? OH AND with hazelnut added in the mix...can you think of anyone?

There was also some half and half in the fridge so I used that in place of milk (higher fat content!!)

All in all, it is DEFINITELY getting there and it will be perfected the 4th time around...it will, it will, it WILL. This is what baking is all about :)

"Hazelnut Choco-Coffee Lovers" (Yields 6 regular sized cupcakes or 20 minis)

3/4 cup all purpose flour 
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
1/4 c. unsalted, softened butter
1/3 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs (I might add an extra yolk next time, perhaps?)
1/2 tbsp. coffee grinds (definitely need to use a stronger coffee next time)
3/4 tsp. coffee extract
3 tbsp. half & half

If you want the instructions simply ask me :) Oh and it is always good paired with my hazelnut butter cream.

Fun Fact of the Day: Did you know you can make baking powder by mixing baking soda and cream of tartar? Next time you don't have any...go for it! Mix two parts cream of tartar with one part baking soda. Also, you can NEVER substitute baking soda for baking powder...but you can do vice versa. Basically, baking soda doesn't have enough umph to make things rise.

Ta-Ta!
not as pretty as all my others but still delicious and in the works!

0 comments:

Post a Comment