Hooray for Tequila!

Okay so Cinco de Mayo came early for my coworkers and I. Well...I made sure Dom and I celebrated the well-known holiday well while we were down in Disney World (Epcot has 12 countries that you can visit and we tried to get a drink in each...needless to say, I didn't accomplish since 12 drinks is a little much for me...) so I guess I can say that I celebrated twice this year.

Our receptionist's birthday was April 28 so I decided to make a spring themed cupcake for her and the rest of the office! I went with Lime Margarita cupcakes. Judging by the recipe, one could get drunk off these!

Not really...

But they did have a considerable amount of tequila in them!! In the cupcake...brushed on top of the cupcake...and in the icing. Sounds like a lot huh!? Actually, alcohol infused cupcakes tend to "get rid" of most of the alcohol while baking. I'm pretty sure this is why the baker added a little extra touch to the tops of the cupcakes once they came out of the oven.

This is the recipe I used. Brown-Eyed Baker is one of my favorite websites. She made these cupcakes look and sound amazing and I didn't find any other recipe similar to hers. I doubled it and it actually made around 30 cupcakes. To make my buttermilk, I used the 1 tbsp. vinegar and 1 cup milk recipe since I actually needed only one cup once I doubled the recipe. Do not waste the money to buy actual buttermilk from the store. You never need much more than a cup and I'm pretty sure it goes bad quickly.

Fun tip: Buttermilk can be made from vinegar and milk (I use this most of the time; 1 tbsp. vinegar, rest milk for 1 cup), cream of tartar and milk, or lemon juice and milk (1 tbsp. juice, rest milk for 1 cup). I'm sure there's more recipes out there, but I find that the vinegar/milk one is the easiest. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes (it may look like it's curdling, but this is okay!)

I used whatever tequila Dom had in the house which I think was Margaritaville which we use to make margaritas. Works just fine! Of course I used my homemade vanilla extract that is still hanging around. Other than that folks, I didn't change anything about this recipe. Everyone at work LOVED them.

And no one got drunk.

That is all!

Cheers and happy belated Cinco de Mayo!



0 comments:

Post a Comment