Black Bottoms You Say?

Current Mood - Motivated
Current Song - Capital Cities-Safe and Sound

I made black bottoms for the first time on Saturday and I'm actually very proud of them! I wanted to take a treat on the boat when we went out for the first time yesterday but I didn't know what to make. Someone suggested black bottoms and it sounded like a good idea. As long as there was a cooler on the boat, we'd be good!

My mom made black bottoms a few times when us kids were younger. I thought I was never a huge fan but I wanted to give these "cupcakes" a try. I didn't even know people labeled these things as cupcakes. I always think of a cupcake as a muffin with icing (which is essentially what it is!) and black bottoms don't have icing so I never really knew WHAT they were classified as. Not sure they'd pass as cupcakes. What do you think?

At first I was going to do mini black bottoms but the recipe would have made about 36 and I wasn't sure I really needed that many. I also wasn't sure if you'd get the best of both flavors by eating a mini. It's important to capture the cream cheese portion AND the chocolate cupcake portion successfully. I thought this would be most possible in a regular sized cupcake.

So it was.

This is the recipe I used. It happens to be from one of my FAVORITE websites--Joy of Baking. She never disappoints me!

What I changed: I used honey instead of sugar in the cream cheese mixture. I simply used the same amount of honey as sugar. Some say that honey is sweeter than sugar. I don't really think so SO I used an equivalent amount. I decided to keep the sugar in the cupcake mixture though.

I used about 1/2 cup of Nestle cocoa powder (recipe called for 1/3 cup) to capture a more chocolatey flavor in the cupcake mixture. 1/3 cup just didn't seem like enough! Sometimes...I like to use baking chocolate squares in addition to cocoa powder when making chocolate cupcakes. Many times combining the two makes for a great, rich, chocolate flavor.

I used brewed coffee instead of water in the cupcake part of the black bottom. I've seen this done many times in chocolate cupcake recipes so I just had to try it out. I simply brewed a Keurig k-cup (which I thought would only be a 1/2 c. of coffee, but it turned out to be a full cup) and it was ready in half a minute!

Next time...I might add mini chocolate chips to the recipe. Cupcakes with chocolate chips in them are always extra tasty. I will also add more of the cream cheese mixture in each cupcake. A bit of sour cream added to the cupcake part would also be beneficial to add to the moistness--don't get me wrong though, the cupcakes were delish!

Random Fact: Recipes that call for oil and NO butter do not require an electric mixer at all! So if you don't have one, I recommend finding cupcake/cake recipes that use no butter so that there is nothing to cream. So, if you don't have an electric mixer, try this recipe out :)

Cheers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment