Snicker-Doodle-Di-Day

Another cupcake order for a family friend!

During my last post, I was getting ready to whip up three dozen cupcakes for a family friend Julie. At that point though, she wasn't sure what flavors she wanted to take with her to the party she was going to. I had suggested vanilla bean and the chocolate cupcakes that taste like brownie heaven. Then I felt like that was just WAY too boring. She was writing me back and forth on my Liv's Bakery's Facebook page and so I had taken the proactive stance and said, "You know what? That sounds a bit too boring...I'd like to suggest my snicker doodle cookie cupcakes and the red velvet."

She sure did like that idea!

Two dozen snicker doodle COOKIE cupcakes and one dozen red velvet it was!

When I made the snicker doodle cookie cupcakes in the past, I iced them with a homemade cinnamon whipped cream and they were PHENOMENAL. I am starting to feel like a cupcake is just too sweet sometimes when you have a rich, moist cake and a thick & creamy butter cream icing on top. That is why I went with the light whipped cream. This time, I wanted to try out a new, less-sweet-sounding butter cream to add to the snicker doodle cupcakes for her order.

I got the butter cream recipe from one of my newer cookbooks, "Cupcakes." I've never seen butter cream made like this before!

To make 2 cups of it, you use 3 egg WHITES, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup of butter cut into pieces, and a pinch of salt. Then, you add whatever flavoring you'd like (the cookbook tells ya how) so I added a tsp. of my homemade vanilla extract. It was absolutely AMAZING! So light and fluffy and it never hardened up at all. I had a few left over after putting the order together and even a few days later the icing wasn't hardened (like normal butter cream icing does). I'll have to say, even without the vanilla added, this butter cream is so tasty.

I went with my normal red velvet cupcake recipe from www.allrecipes.com which were paired with cream cheese butter cream frosting.

I was a bit disappointed with the red velvet...they did not turn out moist like they normally do! Maybe it was just because they were a few days old once I could try one of the left overs...may be switching up that recipe next time!

I'd recommend...if you are making two dozen cupcakes and you want to try the butter cream out mentioned above, you make 1 1/2 times the recipe. I ran out and had to make half the recipe again to finish icing my cupcakes.

To make the fluffy butter cream using the ingredients above:
1. Combine the egg whites and sugar in a heat proof bowl
2. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water on the stove (make sure the bowl isn't touching the water). You could also use a double-broiler (I don't have one though)
3. Whisk the mixture for about 2 minutes
4. Remove the egg white sugar mixture from the pot of simmering water, place on a hot pad, and using a hand mixer, blend the mixture until light and fluffy and soft peaks form (about 6-7 minutes)
5. With the two sticks of butter cut up into about 16 pieces, add the pieces 2 at a time to the mixing bowl. Add the salt. Mix until all butter is incorporated and the butter cream is one product (meaning, if it looks like it's separating or is liquidy, keep going!)
6. Add in whatever flavor you desire (I added 1 tsp. of vanilla) and use the butter cream right away

But remember, make 1 1/2 times the recipe if you're icing two dozen regular sized cupcakes :)

The order turned out fantastic and Julie said they were a big hit at the party!

Next up: Mini Rum Chata cupcakes with Fireball butter cream frosting for the Raven's playoff game this weekend! (Must be 21+ to enjoy)

Cheers!






0 comments:

Post a Comment