Baby Shower Airy Delights

So one of my sister's closest friends from when we were kids--and neighbor--is having a baby in the next four weeks. My sister was the first to get married and have a baby and now it's her turn!

A few weeks ago, my sister said how great it would be if I could bake the dessert for the baby shower. Of course! I said, why wouldn't I?! Then she went on to say they are on a budget...soooo....yeahhhh...is exactly how she put it. Oh well, a new life is being brought into the world, I can make a donation :)

My sister had mentioned that Cassandra would like something "fruity." I thought about it for a while...a fruit infused cupcake? A jam infused cupcake? A fruit tart? Since my specialty is cupcakes, this is what my mind was focused on. I thought about chocolate cupcakes with a raspberry filling and a light raspberry butter cream frosting. Alex said that was too much. I let my mind think completely simple and suggested a vanilla bean cupcake with whipped cream frosting and fruit on top! Alex liked the idea so I went with it.

This was simple enough and they turned out fantastic! I usually don't get to try my cupcakes but since I ended up attending the baby shower, I couldn't refuse to eat one when someone was passing them around, right?!

I was a bit worried...when I went to the store to pick up whipping cream and fruit Sunday morning. It's February...what fruit is good at this time of year!? My friend suggested berries...I didn't know berries were good in February...and they really aren't the best to be honest...I saw blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries in Walmart that day. I literally stood there for 5-10 minutes trying to find a good container of each. They turned out to be not all that bad!

I was then worried...when I poured the container of whipping cream into the mixing bowl and immediately thought it wasn't going to be enough to frost 24 cupcakes. I was already running behind and did not have time to go back to the store for more! Fortunately, it turned out to be JUST enough.

Tip: It's pretty sad that I can't remember the exact size carton of whipping cream I bought...but it's not the tiny pint...and it's not a large quart. It's the one RIGHT in between. This carton, plus about 3 tbsp of sugar, plus a touch of vanilla extract makes enough frosting to PIPE on two dozen cupcakes.

Everyone at the shower was satisfied with these light, vanilly, airy treats! They sort of reminded me of an Independence Day dessert with the fruit colors.

Cheers!

He was pooped after the party too!





0 comments:

Post a Comment