Bite Size Mint Chocolate Explosions

So remember the left over mint chocolate ganache from my Mint Chocolate Explosions? I used the left overs to make truffles last night!

This process was SO easy! I just left the ganache in the glass measuring cup in the fridge overnight...covered...and when I took it out last night after work, the consistency was splendid. It doesn't get super hard, but it doesn't stay soft. It's hard to explain the consistency but it's the PERFECT one for truffles. I've read that one should use a melon baller to scoop out the ganache before rolling the ball between your hands to make it round. However, I didn't like this whatsoever. I got rid of that and used a regular spoon instead. This made them bigger! Which is better in this situation...

The ball-rolling process took no more than five minutes. Once I had them on a plate, I put the plate back in the fridge for a few hours. When you roll the balls between your hands, the chocolate melts a bit so to harden them back up, place the balls in the fridge! Tick tock...tick tock...

Around 8pm I could remove the plate from the fridge, melt some semi-sweet chocolate chips, prepare my bowls of various toppings, and get to dipping!

As I rummaged through my storage of baking supplies, I found three opened bags of chocolate chips. This is ridiculous! Ask me why...I have no clue. One of the opened bags were actually semi-sweet chocolate MELTS which I don't really get. They are EXACTLY the same as chips but apparently they create "layers" in chocolate chip cookies. Hmmmm...I call bull! Anyways...I combined the bags which probably equaled almost a full, 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips and melted them in the microwave. Many would say they should go on a double broiler on the stove but I like the microwave method just the same. It gets the job done either way!

I rummaged again through my storage of baking supplies to find toppings I could roll the dipped truffles in. I went with slivered almonds, coconut flakes, and rainbow sprinkles. I placed each in its own bowl and got to work.

Tips: Along my first truffle making journey, I learned a few tips.
#1: When dipping the truffles into the chocolate, use a fork. Roll 'em around a bit, place them on the fork, and let the excess chocolate drip off back into the bowl. Be sure to scrape the fork against the edge of the bowl to remove any extra.

#2: When tossing the dipped truffle into its topping, cover it completely with garnish and let it sit in the bowl for a minute or two. It's less messy and gives it a bit to harden before using your fingers to place it in its permanent...or not so permanent...spot on a plate.

#3: I'm pretty sure you're supposed to place the finished truffles on parchment paper on a baking sheet (or somewhere else convenient) but I didn't have any of this. I did, however, have lots of mini cupcake liners so I used these instead to house the truffles. They work just as well and it saves ya a step once you go to serve them!

I then let the plate of finished truffles sit out on my dining room table for a while to harden. Many say you can let them sit at room temp for a while and serve them that way or you can place them in an airtight container and into the fridge. I personally like cooler truffles anyways. I divided them up into Tupperwares (I planned on handing them out to different people) and stuck 'em in the fridge.

Everyone at work loved my Bite Size Mint Chocolate Explosion truffles! One even said it was my best treat yet. I recommend trying this oh-so-easy delightful treat!

Less calories in a bite size dessert, right? Ha!

Bite Size Mint Chocolate Explosion Truffles (My left over ganache made about 20 truffles...the full amount of ganache I made is reflected in the recipe below which probably would have made about 30 truffles)

Ganache Center:
1 c. heavy whipping cream
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 tsp. any flavor extract you want (I used peppermint, obviously)

Let the cream come to a boil on the stove. Place chocolate chips in a glass, heat proof, measuring cup and pour boiling cream over it. Whisk it smooth. Place in the fridge over night. Scoop out with a spoon into bite size balls and roll between your hands. Place balls back in the fridge for at least a few hours.

Coating/Toppings:
About 12 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate chips (you could use white chocolate, milk, etc.)

Melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave for about a minute and half. Roll the ganache balls in the chocolate and cover in toppings of your choice.

Suggestions on Toppings:
Cocoa powder
Sprinkles (chocolate or rainbow)
Coconut flakes
Any sort of nuts chopped finely (my almonds were already slivered)
Powdered sugar

Enjoy and Cheers!


0 comments:

Post a Comment