Cinnamon Bun Gone Donut

Who doesn't like a fresh, warm, gooey cinnamon bun!? That's right...NO ONE!

At least I've never heard of anyone NOT liking one. I've heard Cinnabon is the best place to go. My CFO actually tried to make me drive there for him one afternoon because he was craving one so bad but I couldn't bring myself to do such a chore. Especially because I knew I shouldn't be eating one myself and if I went...well...we all know what would have happened. One day though...one day...

Well I've actually made homemade sticky cinnamon buns back when I first started this blog. And actually...it may have been before starting the blog. I just REALLY wanted to tackle this treat that EVERYONE loves. I knew it was going to be a long, challenging task but I had faith. I knew you had to let the dough rise...you had to roll it out...you had to then roll it back up...yada yada. Let me tell ya, it WAS indeed a long project. But challenging, eh, not too much! And the result was fantastic! It had nuts on the inside, a gooey center AND sauce on top...they were just all around delish!

Anyways, back on the topic of what Dominic and I made last Saturday night after having a splendid, healthy dinner at my parents. Everyone knows that cinnamon buns are so good so why not take that idea and turn it into a baked doughnut?! I actually was browsing baking blogs for a while and stumbled across Averie Cooks and her blog. She had a recipe on there for Baked Cinnamon Bun Donuts with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze. I thought this was a great invention! They are SO much easier and quicker than making actual cinnamon buns. Now, don't get me wrong, everyone needs an actual cinnabun here and there and no one can EVER take away the flavor of the fresh, warm, gooey-ness that I mentioned in the beginning of this post. You also don' t get your fingers as messy eating a cinnamon bun donut. That's the child in me speaking...

Averie's recipe for these donuts was extremely easy and the whole process took no more than 30 minutes. This was convenient considering I was exhausted from drinking a few beers at the chili cook off that day and running around all day long! We even forgot to run to the store after my parents Saturday night to make sure we had everything we needed for this recipe (but somehow we remembered to get a donut pan before going to their house...) Luckily, Dominic had everything but cream cheese. I figured since glazes are normally just butter, powdered sugar, and any other flavor you want to add to it, leaving the cream cheese out wouldn't be that big of a deal. He also doesn't have a hand blender so thank goodness this recipe didn't really require a REAL blender...

We whipped up the glaze and through it in the fridge so we could add it to the donuts in the morning for breakfast.

What a delightful treat in the morning! These baked donuts are somewhat denser than donuts you will find at Dunkin or any other place, but they still capture the strong flavor of cinnamon sugar and that icing taste that everyone needs drenched on top of a real cinnamon bun!

Enjoy and Cheers!





0 comments:

Post a Comment